On behalf of California Latinas for Reproductive Justice (CLRJ), Disability Rights Education and Defense Fund (DREDF), and California Coalition for Women Prisoners, we are reaching out for your support on AB 1007 (Carrillo). AB 1007 would provide reparations to survivors of forced sterilization under California’s eugenics laws from 1909 to 1979; and survivors of involuntary sterilizations in women’s state prisons after 1979. Additionally, an outreach and sterilization notification program will be established in consultation with community-based organizations, and markers will be placed at designated sites, raising awareness of the unjust sterilization of thousands of people.
Between 1909 and 1979, California forcibly sterilized 20,000 people in state institutions. It was the most aggressive eugenics sterilizer in the nation, accounting for one-third of the 60,000 sterilizations that were performed nationwide. Although these laws were repealed in 1979, a subsequent state audit revealed that at least an additional 144 people were sterilized during labor and delivery without required consents and authorization in California’s women’s prisons between 2006 and 2010.
AB 1007 will be heard in the Assembly Public Safety Committee on Tuesday, April 6th at 1:30pm. AB 1007 is the 4th item on the agenda. Please submit a letter of support by Thursday, April 1st by 4:00pm.
To submit a letter of support
- Use our attached template to draft a support letter
- Submit LOS by Thursday, 4/1 by 4:00pm through the legislative online portal: https://calegislation.lc.ca.gov/Advocates/
- Create an account if you do not already have one.
- Click on “Submit a Letter”
- Select a bill: AB 3052
- Select recipient: Public Safety
- Select Stance: Support, Subject AB 3052, upload your letter, review, and submit.
- Email copies of your letter of support to firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, and firstname.lastname@example.org
- Please share widely with your networks!